Friday, April 12, 2013

Finally, Something They're Good For

Handsome has these ugly green(ish) army socks to wear with his ACUs. They're ridiculous, to be honest. These darn socks fade to all shades to all shades of olive green and yellow, to the point that I can't even try to match colors in the laundry, I just match styles. And they're like 2.5' long. Well, I found a good use for them, besides covering Handsome's feet and aggravating me in the laundry.
Oatmeal baths. You put a canning funnel in the top of the sock, pour about 2c of oatmeal inside, tie a knot, and drop in the bath water. Yep, you guessed it, we have the chickenpox. Well, the Monkey and the Squirrel do, anyway.

Aside from oatmeal and baking soda baths we've done some essential oil ointment, rosewater sprayed on, lemongrass in the humidifier, and sodium ascorbate (vit C). I don't know what's actually helping, but the baths seem to soothe the itching. Proven by the fact that I'm up at 4am sitting with a bathing girl. Poor thing.
It's interesting how this has played out differently for them. My Monkey started off on Monday with a few spots, getting more throughout the day. Then I think he got more overnight Monday and Tuesday nights. Thursday he was pretty well scabbed over so now he's more or less just healing. He watched a lot of TV and didn't complain much, took a couple baths and had me spray him once in awhile.

My sweet girl, on the other hand, has had a pretty different experience. She had I think 2 or so that showed up late Monday. And as of Wednesday night she had less than a dozen. But Wednesday night they went all crazy on her and Thursday she woke pretty well pocked up. Hers seem to be more irritating. She complains more and really seems to get relief from the bath. So here we are in the wee hours of Friday and she has yet more pox and can't seem to sleep. If it follows a similar pattern I'm hoping she'll be scabbed over Saturday and starting to feel better.

Poor kids. It's hard to know what to do for them. Neither of the little boys got it. I've been exposing Mr Blue again, but Dude still nurses tons so I think he's getting my immunity. Which is awesome because he's not quite 1 yet and it'd be ideal for him to wait a bit. He turns 1 tomorrow. Pretty weird. But that's another post.
In the meantime I had better steal a nap. Being up for more than an hour in the middle of the night isn't going to do much for my sanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment